How To Apply
Applicants must be able to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Willingness to commit to the community’s daily schedule and guidelines and policies.
- Physical, mental, and emotional health and stability
- Ability to be on your feet and work for a minimum of 8 hours per day
- Positive attitude toward taking direction; flexibility toward changing daily tasks
- Capacity to manage the stress of living in a busy and productive environment
- Financial resources to sustain personal needs (medical, transportation, loans, bills) for the full commitment period
- Sincere interest in being a member of an intentional community
- The work-study volunteer program is rigorous physically, mentally and emotionally. Living and working with a close group of people in classes and other community activities is challenging, demanding and rewarding.
We ask that applicants be in good physical health with no major or on-going health concerns. Please do not apply if you are coping with major unresolved emotional issues, withdrawal, or diagnosed psychological disorders; or if you have recently quit smoking or using drugs, recently begun a recovery program or have recently begun a regimen of medications.
Trial Period: There is a 4 week trial period, which is included in the total commitment period. The purpose of trial period is to confirm to our mutual agreement that the program is a good fit for the applicant.
We welcome volunteers from around the world; however please be aware that if you do not hold a USA passport or green card we cannot by law assist you in obtaining a visa for entry, visiting or residing in the United States. We cannot issue any letters of invitation or confirmation for volunteering at Ratna Ling.
Apply to the Ratna Ling Work-Study Program
- Download the Ratna Ling Work-Study Application.
- Return completed application and current resume to Volunteer Coordinator and Ratna Ling co-Director
- If interested in pursuing an applicant, the Volunteer Committee will review applications and contact applicants within 1-2 weeks.
- Schedule an interview
- Check references
- Acceptance to program
- Arrival at Ratna Ling for a one-of-a-kind volunteer experience
In total the application process can take from 4-6 weeks.
Still Have Some Questions?
If you’re interested in applying but maybe have questions about the program before you begin the application process, our staff is available to answer your questions and help you decide if the Ratna Ling Work Study Program might be a good fit. Just call or email with any questions you may have and we’ll go from there. You may also want to check out our FAQ page for answers to common questions about everything from food and transportation, to pets and vacation time.